05 February 2015

Jalie 3023 Bra Muslin Review














  
 

Single layer bra with necessary armscye darts pinned.


Jalie 3023 is available from http://www.jalie.com/jalie3023-tankini-swimskirt-sewing-pattern.html.

I threw together a single layer bra of this tankini, using pieces C, D, G, and H.



What adjustments did you make?  And why?
None, this pattern was made as per pattern draft.


Pattern appreciation(s)?
It fits fairly well right out of the package, and I plan to make several more.  I need workout bras for my bra-less shirts, of which I have too many.

Pattern disgruntlement(s)?
1)  I did not enjoy how odd the folding strap puzzle went together. It does cut down on thickness, but the fiddly folding was irritating. However, I cannot imagine how to adjust the strap formation at this time.  I will ponder up until the second muslin.


2)  This is really more of a Jalie-wide disgruntlement.  I am not comfortable with 1/4" seam allowances, especially when working in knits (my sewing machines love to eat knit, 1/4" SA knits seem to be a favored dish).  I prefer the slightly larger bite of 3/8" SAs.  Having said that, I have to applaud Jalie for NOT going with 5/8" SAs (which are incredibly ridiculous).


What body does this pattern fit (in your estimation)?
The bra fits mine, so I recommend it to small busted, pear shaped upper bodies. 


Would you buy this pattern again?
Yes.  I am looking forward to working out in this bra. 

I will need to remove half an inch dart from the front armscye. This is not an uncommon adjustment for me.  This requires adjustment of pieces D (the straps) and G.  The removal is labeled below, I just have to figure out where I'm going to transfer it.


 

2 comments:

Maren Geroux said...

Hi,
Please forgive my leaving this in a comment, I couldn’t find an e-mail address for you.I recently made a list of bloggers who sew bras, in order to make them easier to find. You can find it at http://iammsfrizzle.blogspot.com/2014/10/bra-sewing-bloggers-by-size.html I hope you don’t mind being on it, please let me know if you want to be removed. Thank you!

Kira said...

Maren,

No, I do not mind being on the list. You had a great idea.

I will check out your research.


Kira