09 February 2015

Rhubarb Green Smoothie Recipe


"Rhubarb (2925623906)" by Anders Sandberg from Oxford, UK - RhubarbUploaded by Jacopo Werther. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rhubarb_(2925623906).jpg#mediaviewer/File:Rhubarb_(2925623906).jpg.


I purchased a bag of frozen rhubarb, deciding to try this new to me vegetable. After testing out some thawed and raw pieces (a little too fibrousy for my taste), I decided to toss it in a smoothie.


1/2 cup (70 grams) frozen/fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup (70 grams) sweet berry, like blueberry
1/2 banana/mango (50 to 60 grams)
2 cups (85 grams) greens, like kale, spinach, etc
1 cup (240 grams) milk (coconut, almond, etc)
1/2 Tbsp (6 grams) chia seeds (optional)
Scoop of protein powder (optional)
Scoop of spirulina (optional)


With rhubarb being fairly tart, I find I need to balance that with an equal volume of sweet berry.  If you are especially sensitive to tartness, increase the sweet volume.

Admittedly, this will NOT be eaten with your eyes first - the combination of blueberries and greens tends to create a brown smoothie ... (but with no cocoa). 

Sweetness note:  I have moved beyond (matured, grown up, simply overloaded my tastebuds with?) sweet smoothies, especially in the morning. If you prefer a higher sweet component, add sugar by increasing your fruit volume or by adding a sweetener of some kind (maple syrup, agave syrup, sugar, stevia, etc).


The protein powders I'm currently using.

No comments: